All You Need to Know about Genioplasty/Chin Reshaping Surgery in London
“The best thing about chin reshaping surgery is that it can move your chin forwards or backwards and can significantly improve the appearance of a receding or small chin!”
- Do you want to improve your jawline definition or facial asymmetry and establish a proportionate facial height and aesthetic balance to the overall face?
- Did you know sliding genioplasty is a type of chin surgery that realigns and reshapes one’s chin appearance and helps those with an asymmetrical chin by realigning it with the rest of their facial features?
- Did you know Genioplasty is frequently combined with liposuction of the neck, nose surgery (rhinoplasty), a neck lift, or laser skin resurfacing?
- Did you know that a good aesthetic sense is required while considering your entire facial harmony at the evaluation stage to determine which type of chin reshaping you need to achieve the desired results?
Many people are dissatisfied with how their chin looks or want to improve their overall appearance; this is when you need a genioplasty consultation with a board-certified craniofacial plastic surgeon. Genioplasty or chin reshaping, more commonly known as chin repositioning, corrects a receding chin, chin misalignment, or chin excess and addresses shape, position, and contour irregularities of the chin to meet the goal of a photogenic facial profile.
Dr. Ivo Gwanmesia, MBChB, MRCS, FRCS, is a British and American board-certified Craniofacial plastic surgeon in Central London, UK. In his practice, he guides his patients through every step of the genioplasty procedure to ensure the best results match one’s facial proportions. However, one-on-one consultation is mandatory for the best type of chin reshaping surgery. Therefore, before starting the procedural steps, Dr. Gwanmensia will consider your entire facial harmony when evaluating which type of chin reshaping you need.
What is Genioplasty/ Chin reshaping Surgery?
Genioplasty is performed to correct the chin appearance that is ill-positioned, receded, asymmetrical, weak, pronounced, overly projected, or shows contour irregularities. Chin reshaping surgery improves the shape, size, alignment, and position of the chin by either implanting silicone or porous polyethylene based implants or by just repositioning the bone supporting the chin. However, it is a safe, result-oriented, and recommended cosmetic surgery procedure in London for those with irregular chin contours or who have relatively smaller or receding chins than other facial features. Genioplasty is especially recommended to be performed by plastic surgeons who have specific training and expertise in Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery (CMF), as craniofacial surgeons have proficiency working on the mouth and jaw.
What happens during the Genioplasty/ Chin augmentation procedure?
The craniofacial plastic surgeon makes an incision inside the lower lip or under the chin during the procedure. When the chin bone is divided, the surgeon repositions the chin bone using titanium plates and screws; otherwise, an implant, either silicone or porous polyethylene, is placed through the incision. Implants come in many different shapes, sizes, and configurations, but which would best suit your facial profile is based on your desired genioplasty goals and facial harmony.
Note: Genioplasty can be combined with neck liposuction, rhinoplasty/ nose job, a neck lift, or laser skin resurfacing to enhance the procedure’s outcomes.
What are the two main types of Genioplasty Chin reshaping Surgery?
- Sliding genioplasty: Sliding genioplasty is recommended for patients with severe retrogenia or whose chin is too far back in comparison to the rest of their face. In this type of chin repositioning procedure, a craniofacial plastic surgeon uses a saw to cut the chin bone away from the rest of the jaw and move it to address the chin deficiency. Chins that are too long or pushed too far forward are effectively corrected by sliding genioplasty.
- Chin implants: Two types of chin implants are available in chin reshaping surgery, i.e., silicone implants and porous polyethylene (Alloplastic implants). They are chosen based on your chin profile, overall facial harmony, and desired goals of chin augmentation surgery.
Note: Bone work using titanium plates and screws for repositioning the chin is a good option for those patients who want a more prominent chin. Moreover, it is also optimal because the body tolerates titanium well, reducing the risk of rejection or potential side effects.
Who is the Best Candidate for Chin reshaping (Genioplasty) Surgery?
Genioplasty is a commonly performed plastic surgery procedure in central London that corrects chin irregularities with regards to shape, size, position, projection, or contour. You may be a good candidate for genioplasty if you have a healthy medical status, without active diseases or severe, pre-existing medical conditions.
Who gets a Chin reshaping/ Genioplasty Surgery?
- Patients with a small or receding chin
- Patients who have a chin that seems too small in proportion to other facial features
- Patients who are concerned with their chin’s shape, projection, positioning, or contour.
How can I prepare for a Genioplasty/ Chin reshaping Surgery?
Dr. Ivo Gwanmesia will give you instructions on preparing for your chin repositioning procedure that encloses all the information related to your pre-op, post-op, and follow-up suggestions.
A quick listing of the most recommendations/ suggestions is jotted down below:
- It will help if you quit smoking several weeks before and after the surgery.
- You should have your physical examination done, as well as your blood sugar levels and blood pressure test report, to ensure you are in good health.
- It would help to stop taking certain medicines that can cause compromised healing, such as aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs, or herbal supplements.
- Antibiotics are prescribed to avoid the risk of infection or allergic reactions.
What is the Anaesthesia like?
In most cases, craniofacial plastic surgeons use general anaesthesia to minimize the discomfort, and you will be asleep throughout the procedure. Local anaesthesia with intravenous sedation is also an option for some patients.
What is the Recovery like for Genioplasty Surgery?
Recovery following genioplasty or chin reshaping surgery can take anywhere between two to eight weeks, depending on the type of procedure, the extent of the procedure, and your physiological status. In addition, everyone heals differently. Facial bony work usually takes between 6-8 weeks to heal fully. Chin implant recovery usually takes about 2-4 weeks to heal fully. Moreover, following all the instructions your plastic surgeon gives is important in order to avoid the risks of infection and other possible complications. You are expected to attend all the follow-up appointments so that the assessment can be done to achieve a smooth recovery and excellent long-term result. You will also be able to get your questions or doubts addressed with regards to your recovery journey.
How Much Does Genioplasty Surgery Cost?
The cost of genioplasty surgery will be explained to you during your consultation with the doctor. Dr Ivo provides a standard fee for all procedures that he performs. Attending the consultation is essential to plan the procedure. Other preoperative investigations might include 3D imaging analysis and a cone beam CT scan. Genioplasty surgery costs varies between surgeons. In the UK, the average price of chin reshaping surgery, either bone work or chin implant, can range anywhere from £3000 to £7000. It is a procedure that is not covered by insurance, as it is not a medical necessity and is considered an aesthetic procedure.
One must note that crucial influencing factors for the cost of genioplasty include the experience of the surgeon, an accredited centre, informative aftercare, general anaesthesia, as well as the credentials of the surgeon and their involvement in reputed plastic surgery societies.
If you consider chin reshaping surgery in London, you should choose a board-certified craniofacial plastic surgeon. Dr. Ivo Gwanmesia is very experienced in genioplasty surgery, and will provide you with the best possible outcome.
To determine if genioplasty surgery is right for you, book your one-on-one consultation with one of the most experienced facial plastic and reconstruction specialists, Dr. Ivo Gwanmesia, in London by calling Tel: 0207 474 1300 or fill out our online appointment form.